I am still trying to master vegetables on the grill so as a result many of our BBQ meals consist of coleslaw or salad as their vegetable accompaniment. So when I remembered a portabello mushroom pizza recipe from the GI cookbook I thought I would give a try. Portobellos can’t fall through the grill slots as easy as say, zucchini coins.
Just a Little Something
The following recipe could o
bviously be modified to suit what ever taste. However, it really does require a grill. I tried to make it in a skillet pre-outdoor space days and it just went kind of soggy. It is a good way to load on the veggie content and even with my modifications it is still pretty healthy.
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
adapted from the GI Diet Cookbook
2 Portobello Mushroom Caps
2 Slices of Tomato
2 slices of Prosciutto
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
2 teaspoons of pesto
1. Pre-heat grill to medium high.
2. Brush both sides of mushroom caps with the olive oil.
3. Place the mushrooms on the grill stem side down and grill for 4 minutes.
4. Flip the mushrooms over and grill for another 4 minutes until tender.
5. Top with pesto, prosciutto, tomato and cheese. Close top and grill from 5 minutes until cheese is melted.