Some time ago I bought an obscene amount of red lentils, and over the last few years I have been working my way through them.
Tonight I got home from work and had no idea what to make. I had some left over coconut milk and the obscene red lentils, a quick Google and I found the below recipe.
It is a pretty mild dish, you could perhaps substitute in some curry paste for the spices. I just added some hot sauce at the end. It is perfect for someone like Homer who doesn’t like things to spicy. And with the sweet potato it is very very filling.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils (10 oz)
- 1 (13- to 14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet potato diced
Cook onion in oil in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until edges are golden, about 6 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Stir in water, lentils, coconut milk and sweet potato simmer, covered, until lentils and sweet potato are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and serve over rice or with pita.